Research within MOABC is organized around multiple research cores.
Core 1: Spectroscopy
Single and multimodal measurement systems integrating optical and microscale or nanoparticle systems for characterizing cells, tissues, microbial systems, and other biologically significant molecules.
- Galyean AA, Behr MR, Cash KJ. Ionophore-based optical nanosensors incorporating hydrophobic carbon dots and a pH-sensitive quencher dye for sodium detection. Analyst. 2018;143:458-465.
- Ferris MS, Katageri AG, Gohring GM, Cash KJ. A dual-indicator strategy for controlling the response of ionophore-based optical nanosensors. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2018;256:674-681.
- Ferris, MS, Elms, MK, Cash, KJ. Enzyme‐conjugated nanosensors with tunable detection limits for small biomolecule determination. AIChE J. 2019; 65:e16698.
- Jewell, MP, Galyean, AA, Harris, JK, Zemanick, ET, Cash, KJ. Luminescent nanosensors for ratiometric monitoring of three-dimensional oxygen gradients in lab and clinical Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2019. in press.
- Dawn N. Vitek, Erica Block, Yves Bellouard, Daniel E. Adams, Sterling Backus, David Kleinfeld, Charles G. Durfee and Jeffrey A. Squier, “Spatio-temporally focused femtosecond laser pulses for nonreciprocal writing into optically transparent materials,” Optics Express, 18, Issue 24, pp. 24673-24678 2010.
- Dawn N. Vitek, Daniel E. Adams, Adrea Johnson, Philbert S. Tsai, Sterling Backus, Charles G. Durfee, David Kleinfeld, and Jeffrey A. Squier, “Temporally focused femtosecond laser pulses for low numerical aperture micromachining through optically transparent materials,” Optics Express, 18 (17), pp. 18086-18094 2010.
- K. Sheetz, J. Squier, “Ultrafast Optics: Imaging and Manipulating Biological Systems,” Journal of Applied Physics, 2009, 105, 051101. (Invited review)
- Philbert Tsai, Pablo Blinder , Benjamin J Migliori, Joseph Neev, Yishi Jin, Jeffrey A Squier, and David Kleinfeld, “Plasma-mediated ablation: an optical tool for submicrometer surgery on neuronal and vascular systems,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 2009, 20, 90. (Invited review)
Core 2: Microscopy
The implementation and integration of multidimensional characterization techniques within researcher accessible hardware.
- Erich E. Hoover, Michael D. Young, Eric V. Chandler, Anding Luo, Jeffrey J. Field, Kraig E. Sheetz, Anne W. Sylvester, and Jeff A. Squier, “Remote focusing for programmable multi-layer differential multiphoton microscopy”, Biomedical Optics Express Vol. 2, Issue 1, pp. 113–122 2011.
- E. Chandler, C. Durfee, J. Squier, “Integrated spectrometer design with application to multiphoton microscopy,” Optics Express, Vol. 19, Issue 1, pp. 118-127 2011.
- Jeffrey J. Field, Ramón Carriles, Kraig E. Sheetz, Eric V. Chandler, Erich E. Hoover, Shane E. Tillo, Thom E. Hughes, Anne W. Sylvester, David Kleinfeld, and Jeff A. Squier, “Optimizing the fluorescent yield in two-photon laser scanning microscopy with dispersion compensation, “ Optics Express, 2010, Vol. 18(13), 13661-13672.
- Dawn Schafer, Michiel Müller, Mischa Bonn, David W. M. Marr, Jan van Maarseveen, and Jeff Squier, “Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy for quantitative characterization of mixing and flow in microfluidics,” Optics. Letters, 2009, 34, 211.
Core 3: Manipulation
Optical and magnetic-field based control of cells and colloids for microbot assembly and label-free sensing of cell mechanical properties.
- T. Yang, A. Tomaka, T.O. Tasci, K.B. Neeves, N. Wu, D.W.M. Marr, “Microwheels on Microroads: Enhanced Translation on Topographic Surfaces (downloadable link)“, Science Robotics, 2019, 4:32, DOI: 10.1126/scirobotics.aaw9525.
- D. Disharoon, K.B. Neeves, D.W.M. Marr, “AC/DC Magnetic Fields for Enhanced Translation of Colloidal Microwheels“, Langmuir, 2019, 35:9, 3455–3460.
- T.O. Tasci, D. Disharoon, R.M. Schoeman, K. Rana, P.S. Herson, D.W.M. Marr, K.B. Neeves, “Enhanced Fibrinolysis with Magnetically Powered Colloidal Microwheels”, Small, 2017, 1700954. DOI:10.1002/smll.201700954.
- T.O. Tasci, P.S. Herson, K.B. Neeves, D.W.M. Marr, “Surface-Enabled Propulsion and Control of Colloidal Microwheels”, Nature Communications, 2016. DOI:10.1038/ncomms10225
- T. Sawetzki, C.D. Eggleton, S.A. Desai, D.W.M. Marr, “Dynamic Viscoelasticity as a Rapid Single-Cell Biomarker”, Biophysical Journal, 2013, 105(10), 2281-2288. DOI:10.1016/j.bpj.2013.10.003
- T. Sawetzki, S. Rahmouni, C. Bechinger, D.W.M. Marr, “In-Situ Assembly of Linked Geometrically-Coupled Microdevices”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 2008, 150, 20141-20145. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0808808105
- A. Terray, J. Oakey, D.W.M. Marr, “Microfluidic Control Using Colloidal Devices”, Science, 2002, 296, 1841.(Abstract,Full Text). DOI: 10.1126/science.1072133.
Core 4: Tissue Engineering and Drug Delivery
The development of biopolymer systems that will allow the study of cells’ interactions with their microenvironment and that can be used for both tissue regeneration and therapeutics.
- Osmond MJ, Mizenko RR, Krebs MD. Rapidly Curing Chitosan Calcium Phosphate Composites as Dental Pulp Capping Agents. Regenerative Medicine Frontiers, May 8, 2019. doi: 10.20900/rmf20190002
- Newsom J, Payne KA, Krebs MD. Microgels: Modular, Tunable Constructs for Tissue Regeneration. Acta Biomaterialia, accepted 2/11/19. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2019.02.011
- Colomb W, Osmond M, Durfee C, Krebs MD, Sarkar S. Imaging and Analysis of cellular locations in three dimensional tissue models. Microscopy and Microanalysis, June 2019, 25(3), 753-61. doi: 10.1017/S1431927619000102
- Fletcher NA, Krebs MD. Sustained Delivery of Anti-VEGF from Injectable Hydrogel Systems Provides Prolonged Decrease of Endothelial Cell Proliferation and Angiogenesis In Vitro. RSC Advances, 2018, 8, 8999. doi: 10.1039/c7ra13014g
- Harding JL, Osmond MJ, Krebs MD. Engineering Osteoinductive Biomaterials by Bioinspired Synthesis of Apatite Coatings on Collagen Hydrogels with Varied Pore Microarchitectures. Tissue Engineering Part A, Dec. 1, 2017, 23 (23-24). doi: 10.1089/ten.TEA.2017.0031
- Fletcher NA, Von Nieda EL, Krebs MD. Tailoring Mechanical Properties and Protein Release of Alginate-Chitosan Polyelectrolyte Complexes. Carbohydrate Polymers, November 1, 2017, 175, 765-772. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2017.08.035
- Shaw N, Erickson C, Bryant S, Ferguson V, Krebs MD, Hadley-Miller N, Payne KA. Regenerative Medicine Approaches for the Treatment of Pediatric Physeal Injuries. Tissue Engineering Part B: Reviews. Sept. 28, 2017, doi: 10.1089/ten.TEB.2017.0274